New York Based Property Manager Leveraged Back Office Outsourcing to Improve Client Base from 1 to 110 Properties
Managing commercial real estate involves a complex mixture of customer service, marketing, cost control, public relations and project management. This case study illustrates how a property manager in New York used outsourcing to successfully meet all of these challenges.
The Client — Initially a
2004 Startup in New York
While the client currently manages over 110 properties in New York, in 2004 the company simply needed help in managing one commercial property.
The Requirement — Take Care of Most Property Management Functions
Property managers wear multiple hats and work irregular schedules. There is an ongoing challenge to juggle time-consuming tasks, reduce stress levels and control costs. In 2004 the client was seeking a cost-effective solution to help them manage one property so that they could spend more time growing the company. The primary requirement was to find a way to outsource almost all of the property management functions to an experienced provider.
6 Initial Challenges for Back Office Pro
Before approaching Back Office Pro (BOP) about their property management outsourcing services, the client deliberated about realistic alternatives for overcoming several specific issues. Here are the six primary challenges initially faced by BOP:
- The need for a mediator between tenants and the building supervisor — to address maintenance and other ongoing issues.
- The urgent requirement for an effective call center team — to handle tenant phone communication.
- A requirement for another team to interact with maintenance personnel — to communicate with plumbers, electricians and other service professionals in response to tenant complaints.
- Property management teams needed to work 24/6 — to effectively handle both routine and emergency requirements without delay.
- The provider needed to be able to find cost-effective and responsive vendors — to find the right person for each specialized job.
- Handling employee payroll — to coordinate personnel payments.
The Back Office Pro Solution — Customized for the Client's Needs
BOP developed a multiple-step solution that successfully addressed the client's specific requirements. Five key steps in this process included the following:
- Back Office Pro created a dedicated call center team to handle all daily call requests for maintenance and other requests.
- BOP hired additional personnel to meet the client's 24/6 requirement — this supplemented the existing team's schedule of 12 hours per day, Monday through Friday.
- Back Office Pro designated a project manager to keep the client's supervisor fully informed and to coordinate additional action as needed.
- The BOP team assumed management of many tasks involving required documents such as tenancy agreements, certificates of insurance and garbage non-clearance reports.
- Back Office Pro handled payment processing on the client's CRM system.
"Our company has been associated with Back Office Pro from the last few months, which is so quick to respond to all our requests and very eager to understand our processes and standards. It was a pleasure working you and let’s hope our relationship will stay forever."
"Back Office Pro has been a tremendous resource for our engineering works that is very precise and attentive to respond all our concerns. Understanding our procedures within a very short period is really appreciable."
Results — A Satisfied Client from 2004 to 2016 and Beyond
While it is often difficult to document long-term outsourcing success, this ongoing assignment for Back Office Pro is a practical illustration of working with a client for 12 years. The client started by hiring BOP to handle one property — this has gradually evolved to the current total of 110 properties handled by BOP. The outsourcing team handles everything from managing the employee payroll to paying dues and taxes.
During a 12-year working relationship, the client has realized substantial cost savings while being immensely satisfied with BOP's services. Back Office Pro is proud to be associated with outsourcing relationships like this one involving a long-term and successful customer.